Buddha Bowls - a favourite at Arlix +Hufie HQ
If you have not yet sat down to a big, tasty, nutrient dense, utter mouth watering Buddha bowl then you are missing out! We love the fact that you can basically throw in what you like (some odd combos excluded) and voila a delicious salad on steroids. We go by the rule that you should cover all food groups. Your favourite grain, protein, veggies, seeds, good fats plus a dressing. For an extra punch add some fermented foods such as sauerkraut or kimchi. Here is a beautiful bowl for you to try out! Remember you can cheat and save time by buying already marinated tofu or veggies that are already pickled. As Buddha said ‘Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care… and a Buddha bowl!
Here is an absolute fav of ours to kick off with. Enjoy!
Coconut Jasmine Rice (this is a winner if you haven't tried before)
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
TIP: throw a cut half lemon in there if you want a bit more zing
Sesame Tofu (buy from Coles/Woolies if you like a shortcut)
- 1 block organic tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for cooking)
- sesame seeds
- shredded carrots
- edamame beans
- pickled radish and cabbage (delish)!
- Add your coconut milk, water, and salt to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in your Jasmine rice, cover, and let simmer on low for 18 minutes. (Don’t peek!) Once your rice is done, remove from the element, remove lid and let cool.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare the tofu.
- Slice the tofu as you please, and place in a bowl with sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and maple syrup. Let sit and marinade for 15-30 minutes.
- While the tofu is marinading, prepare your other toppings.
- Now let’s cook the tofu.
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
- Remove tofu from marinade, and add to pan. Bring heat down to medium and cook on each side until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- Once tofu is cooked toss with sesame seeds
- Place all of your ingredients into a bowl so it looks Buddhaful and top with your favourite soy sauce.